C++ Support for distcc

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at kde.org
Thu May 23 03:29:42 BST 2002

Greetings,
	There has been some buzz as of late about doing distributed builds for doing
KDE builds faster.  Team Builder unfortunately is not a realistic option for
the masses of KDE developers out there and up until this patch neither was
distcc.

	The attached patch allows distcc to compile most known C++ extentions
supported by gcc, these include cxx, cpp, cc, C and cp.  There are also
attached two scripts that allow distcc to interact with libtool a little
better.  For some reason libtool is not a fan of distcc g++ in some instances
in our build system.  To use them, put them in your path and do an:
	export CC='distc'
	export CXX='distc++'

	I have tested this with kdesupport, arts and kdelibs so far with mostly
success.  There are a few problems with object files not being found, but I
am still trying to nail down why this is happening.  They don't seem to
appear on my SMP system, but do when I am using distcc.

	Please if you are interested test the following patches. I have also CCed the
author of distcc to have these patches merged in to the main source.

	Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser