startup time: autostart

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue May 21 20:59:51 BST 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 12:36 pm, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > If the DCOP-Service type is "wait" we need to wait till the process exits
> > instead of waiting for it to register.
>
> My questions remains (at least for me): how do I get the DCOP appname?
> Shall I assume it's the name in EXEC?

Yes. But it may have a "-<pid>" postfix.

Looking at the klauncher code I see that we already wait for the service to
start before starting the next one.

In KLauncher::requestDone(..)

   if (request->autoStart)
   {
      mAutoTimer.start(0, true);
   }

That's no surprise actually, the whole idea of having a specific order of
services does not make sense if you don't wait for the service to start up.

You may want to change the above line to
   mAutoTimer.start(200, true);
and see if that reduces disk trashing.

Cheers,
Waldo