GCC 3.1 - even slower compilation and relocation

Emond Papegaaij e.papegaaij at student.utwente.nl
Sun May 19 22:19:46 BST 2002

On Sunday 19 May 2002 21:09, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once on a beatiful day Sunday 19 May 2002 18:44, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
wrote:
> > Better yet, use prelink, it's a much cleaner solution.
>
> What is  prelink and how does it differ from objprelink?

Prelink is the 'true' solution for the relocation problem. Objprelink is in
fact nothing more than a dirty hack to get rid of the relocations. Prelinking
is done after compilation. If I understand it correctly, it places the
dynamic libraries on a pre-determined location, and changes to binaries to
link to this location. I've compiled my entire system with gcc-3.0.4 and I'm
using prelinking on almost all libraries and binaries. However prelinking is
far from stable. Some programs (like openoffice) won't work when prelinked,
and I'm still unable to prelink kde against qt. I was able to prelink the kde
binaries against all kde-libs. I noticed a big speedup in the startup of kde
applications (konqueror in just over 1 sec, kcontrol in about 1.5 sec on a
athlon classic 650 with 256MB ram), but I won't advice it if you don't know
what you're doing and if you don't want to risk your system (I trashed mine
about 4 times before I got it right). However I still don't know how to fix
this:

workstation:~# prelink /usr/local/kde/bin/konqueror
prelink: /usr/local/kde/bin/konqueror: Cannot prelink against non-PIC shared
library /usr/local/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3

Maybe someone can help me with this?

I've got a short HOWTO online on using LinuxFromScratch with prelink (at least
the way I did it):
http://bodylotion.student.utwente.nl/prelink.tar.gz

Emond Papegaaij