GCC 3.1 - even slower compilation and relocation

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at sh.cvut.cz
Sun May 19 23:51:14 BST 2002

On Sunday 19 May 2002 22:01, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Sunday 19 May 2002 21:09, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
[snip]

>  Whatever it is, something is broken with your setup. Which also means that
> with normal non-broken ones, the modified startkde script can make no
> different or can make things even worse (but that's just a possibility, I
> can't check myself before I get home). You could probably try modifying the
> original startkde script as I already said to find out what exactly is the
> change that makes so big difference.

 Ok, I actually bothered to try it at least with this Thunderbird 850, which
is a bit too fast for such checking, but anyway, the modified script doesn't
make any real change, and if I count the fact that ksmserver seems to be
confused by it for 4 seconds, it's actually 50% slower. Without this
ksmserver problem, it's always around 8,5s , the modified script being
slightly faster, probably due to missing ksplash. Not to mention that with
the original script KDE is started properly. Trying it with some slower
computer would give better numbers, but I doubt the script would make much
difference there either.

 Unless somebody finds out why this helps some people so much, I officially
declare the script a piece of crap, sorry.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at email.cz ; l.lunak at kde.org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli