GCC 3.1 Released

Erik Meusel meusel at codixx.de
Thu May 16 14:40:45 BST 2002

> It's not about 'porting to gcc 3.1'. It's about using ISO C++
> for coding KDE and not <insert author's name here> elusive
> supercool slang. Behind many changes which have benn done to
> C++ in the years past hide reasonable reasons (but don't let
> us discuss this, it's OT).
I think I know what you want to be done, but as I said: The
problem are the huge numbers of applications. KDE itself may
or may not compile with the more pedantic ISO implementation
of GCC 3, but many many of the applications using KDE don't.

I downloaded GCC 3 early when it came out and compiled the
whole KDE standard stuff and some further applications.
Did you do so? Did you read, what changes to ISO implementation
were made? I said _porting_ and I ment it. Of course, all the
changes were necessary. Only a compiler what strictly implements
ISO is a relieable compiler.

I want to tell you some of the days I had when I upgraded to GCC 3.
More than a half of the (nearly all the time C++-)applications
(some KDE, some not) did not compile. From that half, the half were
fixeable in a normal peace of time (look to the auto_ptr-issue e.g.).
And from that quarter, the half of the authors were not reacheable
or didn't apply my patches, often saying "we don't need that,
gcc 2.9x is standard", even in the linux-kernel-newsgroup.

> It's not that there are big changes needed to be done to KDE.
> GCC 3.x.y does still compile a lot of non-iso conform code.
Does it? Show me the non conform code and I'll try to compile it.

> I compile KDE with gcc 3.x.y since months.
That's what I mean. I think IF we 'update' (better?) KDE to be
GCC 3 compliant state, we have to 'update' the majority of the
applications, too.

> But there are still a lot of warnings. And all those
> 'don't use deprecated ...', '... not ISO ...', etc.
Nothing new. Did you ever try to compile any KDE/QT-Application
with -Wcast-qual?

> warnings makes it really hard to spot those important warnings which
> indicate logical errors and the like.
Yes.

mfg, Erik