GCC 3.1 Released

Andreas Simon yuipx at gmx.net
Thu May 16 12:36:56 BST 2002

On Thursday 16 May 2002 12:08, Erik Meusel wrote:

> So I think it would cost a lot of time, what could be used
> much better to push KDE and it's programs forward instead
> of porting it to GCC 3.1.

It's not about 'porting to gcc 3.1'. It's about using ISO C++
for coding KDE and not <insert author's name here> elusive
supercool slang. Behind many changes which have benn done to
C++ in the years past hide reasonable reasons (but don't let
us discuss this, it's OT).

It's not that there are big changes needed to be done to KDE.
GCC 3.x.y does still compile a lot of non-iso conform code.
I compile KDE with gcc 3.x.y since months. But there are
still a lot of warnings. And all those 'don't use deprecated ...',
'... not ISO ...', etc. warnings makes it really hard to spot
those important warnings which indicate logical errors and
the like.

> Remeber: You first have to build the house, before you can
> paint the wall.

But every builder is in deep deep trouble if he builds the
house and does not follow the myriad of rules and regulations
of the city building authority. Building owners can
sing a song of that ;)

BTW: Next Mandrake, and I guess Redhat too, releases will
have gcc 3.1.x as standard compiler.

Cheers,
Andreas