kdesktop's new device links

Tim Jansen tim at tjansen.de
Sat May 11 23:59:28 BST 2002

On Saturday 11 May 2002 17:02, Christian A Strømmen \[Number1/NumeroUno\]
wrote:
> The "problem" with drive letters is that it's become more or less
> standard.. Been in a bios-setup lately? Most bios today use A: and B: for
> floppies (and some even C: etc for disks)..

Intel has recommended that vendors phase out floppies in home PCs this year
(and also PS/2, serial, parallel port and things like that), so I wouldnt
orient to much on the floppy disk. It's unlikely that you will find a floppy
disk controller on a new motherboard two years from now. Legacy-free
motherboards like Abit's AT7 are already appearing (the AT7 has a FDC
though).

Beside that: The concept was easy to understand 20 years ago when you had a:
and b: for floppy drives and possibly c: for the hard disk. Today you have
hot-pluggable media like USB and Firewire hard disks, digital cameras, flash
memory cards and mp3 players. Does it make any sense to assign letters to
them? Is it even possible to make them stable so you have at least a chance
to memorize which device has which letter?

bye..