kdesktop's new device links

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat May 11 13:38:57 BST 2002

On Saturday 11 May 2002 12:11, Joseph Wenninger wrote:

> I'll add a configuration with an option defaulting to "normal user
> readably" names than, which could be changed with a texteditor to that
> advanced mode. Although Floppy A: is even too much windoizm for me.
I thought that was the mere sense of this whole stuff :)) Other people create
device links on the desktop as usual :) But anyway, please avoid cryptic name
schemes that nobody can look through but use those naming schemes that the
.desktop templates for kdesktop use (Floppy, HardDisc) for consistency
reasons where possible.

> Just send a list of names/regexp/... to me. Does bsd have a file, which
> gets updated on each mount/unmount like mtab ? I don't need it for parsing
> but for a dirwatch it would be interesting
Don't have a BSD system installed right now. Lauri or other people, could you
have a look ?

> With edit file type you can change the icon for all devices of a given
> type. With copy you can copy a whole floppy to your harddrive
Can you copy a floppy itself, too ? I.e., read the floppy in a temp image
file, eject floppy, insert other floppy, write temp image file to floppy,
delete image file ?

> > Format and Eject would be better, indeed :)
>
> Sounds like a good addition, although format is a littlebit risky, isn't it
> ?
A partition editor would be another thing that could be added here :)

Ralf

> Kind regards
> Joseph Wenninger

Ralf Nolden