App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Pablo de Vicente pvicentea at wanadoo.es
Tue May 7 20:21:00 BST 2002

El Mar 07 May 2002 11:33, Thomas Diehl escribió:
> Am Montag, 6. Mai 2002 22:47 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> > I support that. I am not opposed to the idea of releasing KDE 3.1 as just
> > kdelibs and kdebase and all the other packages could be released
> > independently (ether as one big packages or on an app by app basis) and
> > possibly on different schedules. That would make individual releases
> > smaller and easier to oversee and having different schedules would mean
> > that the workload for packagers and translators gets more evenly spread
> > over time. *)
>
> [...]
>
> > *) Correct me if I see this wrong, but it appears to me that translators
> > have to work their ass off to get things translated in time for a release
> > while at times like this they can either do nothing or waste time on
> > stuff that doesn't make it into a release or that gets changed 6 times
> > before it gets released.
>
> My personal view on the translation aspect is this:
>
> 1) That it is easier to concentrate on a single release date and to have a
> relatively long message freeze periode for this (it becomes relatively long
> if we add the x.0.1 releases with their "no new strings, no new features"
> policy). During such 8-12 week periods (or even more when there are x.0.2
> releases as well) almost anybody will find a "window of opportunity" to
> make the translations or to find somebody else who does.
>
> 2) For me, it would be impossible to run after one release after the other
> week after week, however. And I would have to do this if I want to keep on
> having a fully localized desktop (which has always been my primary goal so
> far). Much as I like working for KDE, sometimes I have "real work" to do
> and sometimes I also need a vacation. And with the German team I'm surely
> in a much better position than the many "one man shows" we still have in
> KDE translation.
>
> I think your proposal would force us to give up not only on the idea of
> "KDE as a whole" but also on the idea of a fully localized KDE. Therefore,
> I'm totally against this.

I totally agree with Thomas. I could not have explained it better.

I also have a "real work", sometimes need vacation and I develop for KStars
when I do not translate. I think that some translators focus on translating
documentation when there is no release time soon ahead. There are also some
translators which develop for KDE.

 On the other hand having one release eases much syncing our efforts. In our
team (the spanish translation team) we generally do not translate continously
but in bursts. Probably the translation would be worse for the individual
final releases if we adopted the scheme you propose.

 I am also totally against this.

> As for my opinion on other aspects of such an "atomization" see
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=102075894911277&w=2
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas

regards,