App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Roberto Teixeira maragato at conectiva.com
Tue May 7 20:34:01 BST 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 09:10, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> 2.) It is not the transparency of decisions, but the decision making. We
> should have a clear decision making mehanism and I believe we should have
> structures that would make a decision after a discussion, sth like a KDE
> Decision Comitee or sth. It could consist of representatives of every KDE
> package and several translators, because there are more i18n pkg than app
> pkgs, so we should consider choosing translators' representatvies on
> kde-i18n-doc.

Please let's not do it! In theory a very beautiful thing, very democratic. But
in the end all it will do is creating enormous delays before any decision can
actually be made, since everyone will have to give their say, and then
someone will reply and then they'll vote. It will be much like this thread,
but multiplied for every single decision.

I much more prefer something like this thread. Whenever something polemic
happens, a discussion takes place. In the end, consensus will be reached (or
not :) and the issue is closed. A decision comitee will only create similar
threads for every issue! And then we'll want yearly election for the comitee
and then we'll be a lot more politics then anything else (it happens in some
other projects I know...)

maragato at conectiva.com, maragato at kde.org