App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Piotr Szymanski djurban at linuxpl.org
Mon May 6 13:10:11 BST 2002

Hello,
Once on a beatiful day 6.05.2002 13:27, Neil Stevens wrote:
> My intuition is that this is an empty threat.  But if it's not, so be it.
> It's a big world.  If KDE is important enough to people that  60+ message
> threads get written, then KDE is important enough to draw others to
> replace the retired volunteers.
This is what I think is a very bad idea. Nothing can be accomplished when one
side tries to blackmail the other. Translator would not quit (or a tlest
Polish ones), because they love KDE and have no interest in making it worse.
I assure you that you would find no Polish translators to substitute those
who work at i18n-pl now, because KDE is not very popular in Poland, due to
its high sys reqs.

> Well, if it's all or nothing from the translators, as you are portraying
> their view, then there really isn't a way to avoid it.  I've proposed that
> the translators simply skip the apps they don't want to translate.  Some
> app authors have offered to try to merge.  But if some translators will
> quit unless the redundancy is completely removed, then those translators
> are obviously going to quit.
I am KDE user, I have a cd-burner and I would be very happy if I could burn my
cds without switching through apps, when I use windows I start Nero Burning
ROM and I can burn any type of cd's without a problem. In KDE I would have to
close one and start another, it might be no problem with burning 1-3 cd's a
day, but when you burn 20 cds a day it is getting boring.

> > I think we are going to need a transparent decision mechanism on what
> > goes into CVS and what doesn't in a not too distant future. Yes, I know
> > this is a horrible thing to even think about and I hate this whole
> > discussion just like anybody else. We don't want a bureaucracy, we don't
> > want dictatorship, and we don't want to keep people from experimenting,
> > even if it means a lot of wasted time and code. Anyway, I still think we
> > should at least _consider_ something like that piece of "thinking aloud"
> > in
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=102051450931639&w=2
> What portion of the KDE decision making process isn't transparent?  Except
> for the isolated incidents when people have abused CVS_SILENT, every
> decision has been visible to all on kde-devel, kde-core-devel, and kde-cvs
> mailing lists.
Two things:
1.) What is CVS_SILENT?
2.) It is not the transparency of decisions, but the decision making. We
should have a clear decision making mehanism and I believe we should have
structures that would make a decision after a discussion, sth like a KDE
Decision Comitee or sth. It could consist of representatives of every KDE
package and several translators, because there are more i18n pkg than app
pkgs, so we should consider choosing translators' representatvies on
kde-i18n-doc. Creating a votng mechanism is very simple, it would not take
long to code a set of apps: voting server, which would use ssl connections
and count votes, a client which would be used to login,  after login it would
show the ongoing votings, ending day for those votings and number of the
votes for each and every option, the quorum needed and when one would
mouse_over on an option it would show details and then he could choose to
select this option and push Vote!.
If some is interested in the idea I can offer ready algorithms that only need
coding, since I have done sth like this for a polish distribution project
called LinuxPL, but it still has not been coded, since I do not know how to
code in KDE I can only help with explaining how should it work (I have
already made algorithms, UI designs and pointers on implementation). You can
reach me at djurban at linuxpl.org if anyone is interested in the idea.

- --
!: Piotr Szymanski | LinuxPL Dev. Team Member | KDE i18n-pl coordinator
@: djurban at linuxpl.org | The website is coming
#: GG: 2300264 | ICQ: 12622400
%: "bo jesli ktos sie modli Pan Bog w nim oddycha" - ks. Jan Twardowski.