App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon May 6 21:47:41 BST 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 08:28 am, Klas Kalass wrote:
> The Announcements for the releases (like KDE 3.0) always mention programs
> of the other packages. So it looks to the reader as if all of this was "the
> KDE". If we do not want that we should release all of those packages
> seperately and only kdelibs/kdebase as the parts making up a KDE release.
> In that case we can say "those are just programs put together in one place
> for convenience of the developers" and not mention any programs that do not
> belong to libs/base in the Release Announcement.

I support that. I am not opposed to the idea of releasing KDE 3.1 as just
kdelibs and kdebase and all the other packages could be released
independently (ether as one big packages or on an app by app basis) and
possibly on different schedules. That would make individual releases smaller
and easier to oversee and having different schedules would mean that the
workload for packagers and translators gets more evenly spread over time. *)

This already happens with KOffice and I would like to see that extended to
other packages. Rob also mentioned to use kdenonbeta for releasing individual
applications, I am not sure if kdenonbeta is really the best place for that
since that tends to be a bit of a dumping ground, but maybe we can make a
seperate module "kdemisc" that is intended for stable applications which are
released indidually. To counter one of the kdenonbeta problems that module
should be limited to, say, 10 apps. So we would get kdemisc-1, kdemisc-2,
etc...

Cheers,
Waldo

*) Correct me if I see this wrong, but it appears to me that translators have
to work their ass off to get things translated in time for a release while at
times like this they can either do nothing or waste time on stuff that
doesn't make it into a release or that gets changed 6 times before it gets
released.
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com