App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Mon May 6 18:15:41 BST 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:09:07AM -0500, Andreas Pour wrote:
> That's the general problem with the "no packages" approach, it has not
> been thought through.  There are a number of issues which arise.  This
> centers around the question, what is the point and consequence of having
> something in KDE CVS?
<big snip of good story>

Nicely said.

As I missed much of this discussion (mailserver prob I guess), plus I would
appriciate a solution to be made I want to hear from some core people (Waldo
made the first import while there was some opposition, and Dirk might want
to say something as he is the Release manager and this certainly makes 3.1
harder to release, maybe others).

Please tell the world how the undisputably-present problems the above described
change in policy triggered will be solved.

If nobody feels they should take action, I would like to ask you (the core-people)
to revert the import of all of these cd-writer applications since I think we
should all just go back to hacking; that is the thing we should like more :)

In short; I think a mistake has been made, a desicion too many KDE developers
(including i18n people) feel unhappy about.  I think the person(s) who made
the desicion should step forward and appologise.

Please don't let personal feeling get in the way of the wonderful KDE feeling.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net