CVS has *nothing* to do with releases (was: App duplication again)

Andreas Pour pour at mieterra.com
Mon May 6 13:50:13 BST 2002

Neil Stevens wrote:

> > > Wow.  If this is your impression you are absolutely right.  CVS indeed
> > > is a tool for developers.  If you think, that it's wrong to use CVS
> > > for what it was designed for, you are severely misguided.
> >
> > No, but *I* think some applications are included because some developers
> > are too lazy to *release* and *market* a tarball.
>
> So what if they are?  It's not enough that the app was written?  When
> applications are included in that case, it's the *users* who benefit, far
> more than the developer.

That depends.  If the result is GUI fragmentation, lower-quality
applications and increased user learning curves, quite the opposite
would be true.  More !== better.

And as has been pointed out, there are people - the translators,
artists, packagers - who also do not benefit.  It's not like the world
stops when code is dumped in CVS.  There are lots of people for whom
work is created each time an app is added.

At least to me, these people matter too :-).

Ciao,

Dre