replace autotools with qmake in KDE3

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Sun May 5 18:07:23 BST 2002

On Son, 05 Mai 2002, F at lk Brettschneider wrote:

> .pro
> files are much easier to write and to understand than Makefile.am's and
> the whole bunch of project helper files.

Hmm ? Whats so difficult to understand with Makefile.am's ? you simply
categorize your source files and put them in a handful of different
variables. The rest happens automatically.

You can learn most parts of automake by reading its manual.

Maybe it would be easier for the average developer to generate correct files
if kdevelop wouldn't create the same buggy makefiles for projects.

> It shouldn't be hard to turn all KDE projects in .pro-file-managed
> projects, does it?

Did you try it ?

There are a few problems with automake, thats granted. Like for example that
it works less well with each new release that pops up lately, becomes more
broken with every new feature, or that it requires nonrecursive Makefiles.

However, I've seen that Michael Matz and coolo are working on an automake -
compatible replacement (code name: unsermake), that is going to address
these problems.

Dirk