App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Harri Porten porten at trolltech.com
Sun May 5 16:58:11 BST 2002

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Matthias Elter wrote:

> > I don't believe in the whole notion of "core" packages. IMO the only core
> > that we have is kdelibs (for apps/developers) and kdebase (basic runtime
> > environment) and everything else is "apps" in my book.
>
> I strongly disagree here. IMO it is important for KDE to ship a set of
> "standard" applications. It is very nice to just know that kmix or kcalc are
> there when you see a KDE desktop.

Which I never use. But if you add kbugbuster, kppp and kpresenter to the
list I would be happy indeed ;)

> Just like I can be sure standard tools like
> grep, sed or bc are there when I install a Linux distribution.

Those are already required to get the system running in the first place
(scripts).

> > Application selection is done at install time and your software vendor will
> > be able to provide you with a selection of various "*core* distributions".
>
> Did you actually install SuSE recently? ;-) I bet users never ever make it to
> the dialog where you can select single packages. Most people just select
> "KDE" in stage two which gets them kdelibs, base, multimeda, ...

SuSE's choice then. I agree with Waldos point of a minimal runtime. Which
wouldn't even include a text editor IMO.

Harri.