App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Matthias Elter m_elter at t-online.de
Sun May 5 09:34:16 BST 2002

On Sunday 05 May 2002 02:03, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > You snipped the part about sophisticated users being able to find what
> > they want w/out it being in the "core" packages.  Do you disagree with
> > that?
>
> I don't believe in the whole notion of "core" packages. IMO the only core
> that we have is kdelibs (for apps/developers) and kdebase (basic runtime
> environment) and everything else is "apps" in my book.

I strongly disagree here. IMO it is important for KDE to ship a set of
"standard" applications. It is very nice to just know that kmix or kcalc are
there when you see a KDE desktop. Just like I can be sure standard tools like
grep, sed or bc are there when I install a Linux distribution.

> Application selection is done at install time and your software vendor will
> be able to provide you with a selection of various "*core* distributions".

Did you actually install SuSE recently? ;-) I bet users never ever make it to
the dialog where you can select single packages. Most people just select
"KDE" in stage two which gets them kdelibs, base, multimeda, ...

Greetings,
Matthias