App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Sun May 5 08:48:37 BST 2002

Am Sonntag, 5. Mai 2002 02:03 schrieb Waldo Bastian:

> I don't believe in the whole notion of "core" packages. IMO the only core
> that we have is kdelibs (for apps/developers) and kdebase (basic runtime
> environment) and everything else is "apps" in my book.
>
> Application selection is done at install time and your software vendor
> will be able to provide you with a selection of various "*core*
> distributions".

Which seems to leave the question what we offer the software vendors
to create their distributions from? If I understand you correctly, there
would be no "real KDE" at all, as far as apps are concerned. It would be
just SuSE, RH, Mandrake and so on who decide _solely_ what KDE really is
and what it looks like. The apps part of KDE would be nothing but a
repository like apps.kde.com with some additional benefits like more
up-to-date code, better compliance to the style guide etc. But there would
be no problem to have eg 5 cdrw programs, a hundred vocabulary trainers, or
10 vector drawing apps in it -- right?

Well, while we are stating our opinions here, I'd like to add: This is
surely not the KDE I want. I have absolutely no problem with SuSE, RH etc.
creating their distros and make KDE look like they want. At least not as a
matter of principle. In reality, I absolutely hate the way some of those
distros slap their "Corporate Identity" logo crap on each and everything
our artist group created. Just as I hate what many of them are doing to our
localizations and well designed translations. I want to be able to go to
KDE CVS and get "the real thing". And if somebody around me gets fed up
with what distros are giving to him or her, too, I would still like to show
him or her this "real thing" we created here: well picked apps, sensible
defaults, and a good overall design while saying: Forget RH, SuSE,
whatever. _This_ is KDE, and if you want to you can help to make it even
better.

Regards,

Thomas

--