App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun May 5 01:03:27 BST 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 02:21 pm, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 May 2002 12:06 pm, Andreas Pour wrote:
> > > The "core" distribution should instead be targeted at the
> > > unsophisticated user, the one that will be confused by multiple
> > > applications, that wants to be able to use the machine at the office or
> > > at a friend's and have the same tools as the machine at home.
> >
> > That's of course your opinion.
>
> Your point?

That you forgot to add "IMHO".

> > I for example think that KDE should also be
> > targeted at sophisticated users.
>
> You snipped the part about sophisticated users being able to find what
> they want w/out it being in the "core" packages.  Do you disagree with
> that?

I don't believe in the whole notion of "core" packages. IMO the only core that
we have is kdelibs (for apps/developers) and kdebase (basic runtime
environment) and everything else is "apps" in my book.

Application selection is done at install time and your software vendor will be
able to provide you with a selection of various "*core* distributions".

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com