Session Management Considerations

Matthias Ettrich ettrich at divan.troll.no
Sat May 4 17:01:20 BST 2002

> On Saturday 04 May 2002 16:11, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Why the 'normal' KDE?  Is there a way to start a KDE without any session?
> > Does that not mean things like klipper fail to start up?
> > I think that just:
> >              KDE (last session)
> >              KDE (default session)
> > would be more logical.
>
> No, it isn't clear enough. On a first glance, I would think: My default, or
> a systems' default with kdesktop/kicker and nothing else? 'default' could
> mean both to me. A luser would never think about kicker as a
> session-dependent app.

Here is another idea:

we drop the whole idea with KDM support and command line arguments for
startkde. Instead, we offer the following three options in the session
manager's control center module:

    On startup...

      (X) restore previous session

      ( ) start with saved session

      ( ) start with empty session

When "restore saved session" is selected, there will be an item "Save
session" in the K-Menu.

On logout we only save the current session if "restore previous
session" is selected.

The explicitely saved session never gets changed unless the user
selects "Save session" in the K-menu.

Come to think of it, this is probably the easier and better approach.

But I  do not like the name saved session. Default session doesn't work
either for the reasons you describe. What about "user defined session"?
Or "Home session"?

Matthias