App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Christoph Cullmann crossfire at babylon2k.de
Sat May 4 16:12:36 BST 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 16:52, Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Saturday May 04, 2002 07:39, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 May 2002 16:11, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > If translators don't wish to translate the new app, nobody's forcing
> > > them to do so.
> >
> > Because we cannot release untranslated applications with KDE?
>
> Sure we can.  KDE is under no obligation.
>
> > Why else
> > would we have translation teams for more than 50 languages and a
> > sophisticated framework if we didn't care about that?
>
> We have translation teams because people volunteer to translate.  If these
> teams no longer wish to translate KDE in its entirety, then they shouldn't
> do so.
>
> However, I think it'd be a terrible mistake to hold back all of KDE because
> one group doesn't want to proceed with it.  If there are enough users who
> want that untranslated app, someone will eventually step up and translate
> it.
Nice Neil, and perhaps we should just rename KDE to EDE (english-only desktop
environment).

> > How on earth could translators decide on whether to translate an
> > application or not? The simple rule is: everything that's in one of the
> > core modules gets translated.
>
> Using their brains?  I'm assuming here that translators aren't mindless
> automatons that translate whatever's in front of them, but rather are
> capable of deciding that one apps is more important than another.
> Translators do currently distinguish nonbeta and "others" from the
> released packages.
>
> so, if they see 30 CD writing apps, they can say to themselves, if they
> feel that way, "This is stupid. I'll do those later, if I get around to
> it."
>
> > What if they actually decided that they don't want to translate some
> > application, for whatever reason?
>
> Then it'd go untranslated until someone stepped up.  That's life in
> volunteer software projects.  Translations aren't the only thing that can
> make an app totally unusable for people.  KMail was worthless to many
> people until it finally got SMTP AUTH support, for example.
To fix a bug / add a feature has nothing to do with this topic. Translaters
will never come here and say: we don't like to translate the 2 smtp auth
support msgs, drop smtp.
But I think they have the right to say that they don't have fun to translate
msgs for 4 duplicated apps.

--
Christoph "Crossfire" Cullmann
Kate/KDE developer