App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Sat May 4 16:08:19 BST 2002

Am Samstag, 4. Mai 2002 16:38 schrieb Neil Stevens:

> > And why not finally have a vote page for the following applications:
>
> Because KDE isn't a democracy.  Developers are under no obligation to
> implement the result of a vote.  That is, KDE has no leverage to force
> the developers if the result doesn't go the way they want.  KDE can only
> enforce a negative - removing apps and reverting commits.  It can't force
> developers to "team up," or force a developer to move into CVS and comply
> with KDE CVS rules.  It can't force developers to add features and
> redesign UIs.

I'm not for the suggested vote either. But if you look really at it you
should notice that its effect is indeed a negative -- removing apps,
nothing else. Also we are talking about developers who already moved to CVS
and, by this very act, have agreed to comply with its rules. If they didn't
there is really no use to any discussion here.

> User feedback is important, but to have users make
> decisions is to ask them to take over some of the developer
> responsibility.

I guess the question is: Who takes responsibiltiy if (some) developers
forget about theirs?

> So,
> just as we have KWrite and Kate for different kinds of users, why not
> have CD Bake Oven and KreateCD for different kinds of users?

Yes, why not have one single app -- like Kate/KWrite -- that can be
configured to fit the need of different users? ;-))

> Lastly, any online vote would just hand the results to whoever has access
> to the most IP addresses to vote from.

I agree on that one. And although I have absolutely no problem with Slashdot
I'm not too sure if I really want its users to take over KDE decisions.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/