App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Sat May 4 15:52:31 BST 2002

On Saturday May 04, 2002 07:39, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> On Saturday 04 May 2002 16:11, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > If translators don't wish to translate the new app, nobody's forcing
> > them to do so.
>
> Because we cannot release untranslated applications with KDE?

Sure we can.  KDE is under no obligation.

> Why else
> would we have translation teams for more than 50 languages and a
> sophisticated framework if we didn't care about that?

We have translation teams because people volunteer to translate.  If these
teams no longer wish to translate KDE in its entirety, then they shouldn't
do so.

However, I think it'd be a terrible mistake to hold back all of KDE because
one group doesn't want to proceed with it.  If there are enough users who
want that untranslated app, someone will eventually step up and translate
it.

> How on earth could translators decide on whether to translate an
> application or not? The simple rule is: everything that's in one of the
> core modules gets translated.

Using their brains?  I'm assuming here that translators aren't mindless
automatons that translate whatever's in front of them, but rather are
capable of deciding that one apps is more important than another.
Translators do currently distinguish nonbeta and "others" from the
released packages.

so, if they see 30 CD writing apps, they can say to themselves, if they
feel that way, "This is stupid. I'll do those later, if I get around to
it."

> What if they actually decided that they don't want to translate some
> application, for whatever reason?

Then it'd go untranslated until someone stepped up.  That's life in
volunteer software projects.  Translations aren't the only thing that can
make an app totally unusable for people.  KMail was worthless to many
people until it finally got SMTP AUTH support, for example.

> > Why should translators get a double super veto over what goes into
> > KDE?
>
> Why should developers be allowed to burden loads and loads of work on
> translators for half-working applications? I think we should consider
> carefully before wasting other peoples time deliberately.

Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything.  We're all volunteers here, either
volunteering our own time or having our time volunteered by our employer.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com