App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sat May 4 15:39:24 BST 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 16:11, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Saturday May 04, 2002 03:24, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > OK, meanwhile I was told that this new CD burner (k3b) in kdemultimedia
> > adds another 700+ strings which means that we now have something like
> > 2000 strings for CD burning apps alone for each and every of our 50+
> > translation teams. Even if we can re-use a lot of these strings I think
> > the situation is getting absurd. And I'm not only talking CD burners
> > here.
>
> If translators don't wish to translate the new app, nobody's forcing them
> to do so.

Because we cannot release untranslated applications with KDE? Why else would
we have translation teams for more than 50 languages and a sophisticated
framework if we didn't care about that?

How on earth could translators decide on whether to translate an application
or not? The simple rule is: everything that's in one of the core modules gets
translated.

What if they actually decided that they don't want to translate some
application, for whatever reason?

> Why should translators get a double super veto over what goes into KDE?

Why should developers be allowed to burden loads and loads of work on
translators for half-working applications? I think we should consider
carefully before wasting other peoples time deliberately.

regards,
	matze