App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Nikolas Zimmermann wildfox at kde.org
Sat May 4 16:10:52 BST 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 12:24, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Samstag, 4. Mai 2002 08:18 schrieb Thomas Diehl:
> > Am Freitag, 3. Mai 2002 21:49 schrieb Sebastian Trueg:
> > > my cd writing program k3b is in kdemultimedia now
> >
> > Well, after KOnCD, KreateCD, and CD Bake Oven this would be the 4th one.
> > The existing ones already gave us something like 1200 strings to
> > translate. How many strings is yours?
> >
> > I really start to wonder whether we are not overdoing here quite a bit
>
> OK, meanwhile I was told that this new CD burner (k3b) in kdemultimedia
> adds another 700+ strings which means that we now have something like
> 2000 strings for CD burning apps alone for each and every of our 50+
> translation teams. Even if we can re-use a lot of these strings I think the
> situation is getting absurd. And I'm not only talking CD burners here.
>
> We now have 4 of these apps in core CVS (+ kaudiocreator somewhere). If
> we go on like this we will shortly have half a dozen. And if we have half a
> dozen CD burners why not have half a dozen bitmap editors, vector programs,
> and 5 vocabulary trainers for every single KDE language? There are
> currently something like 30,000 GUI strings and maybe the same amount
> of doc strings in kde-i18n (give or take a few thousand) -- how many are
> we going to have after this kind of app inflation? 50,000? 80,000?
> And _for_what_?
>
> Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind if it was a 100,000 strings for solid,
> unique programs with a real perspective. But I'm not going to waste my
> time, bandwidth, disk space, and every other resource on the ego
> gratification of a few developers who are not willing to cooperate and to
> either merge or re-write their projects until we get one real good solution
> instead of 5 average ones.
>
> If we are not going to find a clear and transparent decision process which
> apps go into KDE core and which do not, which ones are to drop and which
> ones need just a re-write we are going to drown in a sea of mediocre code,
> untranslated programs, and overburdened infrastructure instead of getting
> the first class desktop environment everybody is after.

Nice said Thomas.
I have a real strict opinion on that issue, too.
Either join efforts or remove every cd burning app from kde cvs.
Users are clever enough to look for cd burning apps on apps.kde.com

A common (standard) KDE cd burning app is of course great to have.
But if the devs cannot talk to each other, please please don't waste the other
devs time with endless discussions and remove the apps from cvs.

Bye
 Bye
  Niko

P.S. Is talking that difficult? Can't ppl create a kde-cd-burn ml, discuss
everything and build a team?

--
Nikolas Zimmermann
wildfox at kde.org