App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Sat May 4 14:17:07 BST 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 14:36, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> There are always these people saying: we need choice, choice, choice.

Choice is fine, but one of the four applications should be elected as "the CVS
one", and the three other choices could go to apps.kde.com. This way, an user
that dislikes the default application could go to apps.kde.com and pick up
his/her favourite one.

Of course, there's no need to chose one of the four apps if the authors find a
way to merge their applications, of course. But this we cannot say in their
place.

> Now start bashing me! (or cshing, ashing, zshing, tcshing, ...)

No, you're perfectly right, I think.

PS: there's not only duplication of efforts in translating application
messages. Think about doc writing, proofreading and maintainance, taking
screenshots, translation of the documentation, settling and translating
desktop files, ...