extremetech.com article

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Thu May 2 16:28:52 BST 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 12:35:37PM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2002 12:09, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:57:30AM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > > http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a=26115,00.asp
> > >
> > > "Operating as root user for the first time in KDE, you should open the
> > > file manager and browse around. Because you are essentially in super-user
> > > mode, be very careful not to modify anything. Look but don't touch. This
> > > will eliminate a potential KDE glitch that might cause the file manager
> > > window to flicker when accessing it from a user account."
> > >
> > > What is he talking about ? Anyone an idea what is going on there that the
> > > user should work as root in KDE first before doing anything else on his
> > > new system ?
> >
> > Why didn't you ask the author ?
> Because he says there is a problem. What should I have asked ? Why it occurs
> for him or what ? he describes the bug that he experiences, so a verification
> for any known problems with flickering should be first before I write him to
> not write such things.
>
> What is wrong to ask for a verification first in cases where I'm not sure
> myself ?
>
> EOT if that's the only answer I get on a (for me) valid question.

Sorry if I pressed a wrong button, not my intention.

This seems a wierd situation you described, and as you know userlevel software
(i.e. non-kernel or daemon) should never have this kind of problem that is solved
by logging in as root first. Or you will find stupid bugs in very low-level stuff.

In other words; I did not believe the bug-report as being informed, which is
why I think a question to clarify or a description to reproduce the bug is
wanted.

--
Thomas Zander                                            zander at earthling.net