Previews and "binary semantic incompatibility"

Simon MacMullen simon.macmullen at aspect-proteus.com
Thu May 2 11:10:16 BST 2002

Well, I just committed new-previews-default-to-on and
toggle-all-previews-at-once (sorry Torsten, no toolbar button for it yet).
This was a binary semantically incompatible change (a name I just made up,
if there's any better let me know), due to making
KonqPropsView::previewSettings() and KonqPropsView::isShowingPreview()
non-inline. That is to say, anything compiled against the 3.0 KonqPropsView
but linked against the 3.1 version will not crash, but will get wrong
results from calls to those two methods.

That's if I understand how this works correctly.

I did a search and as far as I can see the only app that uses KonqPropsView
is Konqueror itself, so I think this is harmless. If not, then I will of
course try to work something out.

By the way, my previews menu includes the entries "Images", "Pictures" and
"Clipart". I had to go look in the .desktop files to find out the
difference, so how will users know? I would recommend "Bitmap Images", "SVG
Images", "WMF Images" (respectively) instead - at least that way some users
will know the difference.

Cheers,

Simon