Proposal for KControl

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Jun 30 06:23:09 BST 2002

On Saturday 29 June 2002 10:04 pm, Charles Samuels wrote:
> lørdag 29 juni 2002, 05:02 pm, skrev Aaron J. Seigo:
> > > Why would a user configure kspell if they don't run it ? :)
> >
> > heh.. of course they wouldn't, but expecting a user to figure out that
> > the way to configure it is to run a spell check on a document and click
> > on configure is not a very logical set of steps to expect them to go
> > through.

I don't think a user thinks that he needs to configure the spell checker. Do
you need to configure your oven before you use it? No, you turn it on and
expect it to work.

> > it would be like telling them that to configure kmail they first have to
> > send a dummy email.
>
> It's like telling them to Run KMail before they configure KMail.  No user
> would say "I want to spell check, I'll run kcontrol to configure it"

That's true I think. You only need to configure spell-checking when you
want/need to use the spell-checker. You don't say "let's configure my
spell-checker today" if you don't have plans to use the thing. So only being
able to configure the spell-checker from applications that use the
spell-checker makes sense to me.

The same for the konsole configuration. The only option in that dialog that
needs to be in the control center is the option "which terminal to use by
default".

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com