kdelibs/kdeui

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Jun 23 19:20:13 BST 2002

On Sunday, 23 June 2002 12:58, Matthias Kretz wrote:

> Plugin configuration is different though. In my opinion the configuration
> page of a dialog shouldn't ever appear if the plugin is not used (loaded).
> Imagine a user opening that page configuring it and then he wonders why it
> doesn't work.

In my own user experience (humble and probably very specific to my computing
habits), having a flat set of configuration options change depending on what
plugins are loaded or not is confusing and irritating. I prefer by far that a
placeholder (e.g. the plugin's options disabled) is always present in the
configuration set of the app that can load that plugin.

Of course, this is not always viable (e.g. plugins that get
produced/distributed separately from the app - the case of konqueror, BTW).
In this case, the plugin config modules should be included as children of a
"root" entry in the flat set of configurations of the app, "root" that would
be called (bluntly) "Plugins Configurations". This would present, in a
branched tree, again, the  list of plugins loadable (with ckeckboxes) and,
for all loaded plugins, their respective configuration pages.

Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna at sympatico.ca
PhD student .. ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. www.kde.org