"get hot new stuff" button

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Jun 20 22:56:03 BST 2002

On Thursday 20 June 2002 10:35, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 20 June 2002 12:20, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 June 2002 23:20, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > I have implemented a "get hot new stuff" button (well in fact
> > > it's a menu entry) for KOrganizer. The code is fairly general and
> > > could probably easily be extended to other apps. It's in
> > > kdepim/korganizer/knewstuff.
> >
> > I have something similiar in kate for downloading additional
> > highlighting descriptions.
>
> So there are 2 (or 3?) different implementations of the same thing,
> with duplicated code in the apps having this feature and nothing
> available in kdelibs? Sounds good.... :{

The code is meant as a prototype which should be merged with the other
efforts and then go to kdelibs. I don't think anybody is interested in
duplicating code.

By the way, how many different plugin loading frameworks do we have in
KDE? Wouldn't this be an area where it would make sense to replace some
duplicated code by a common solution?