"get hot new stuff" button

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Jun 20 00:20:20 BST 2002

I have implemented a "get hot new stuff" button (well in fact it's a
menu entry) for KOrganizer. The code is fairly general and could
probably easily be extended to other apps. It's in
kdepim/korganizer/knewstuff.

Some things are still missing:
- Remember what already has been installed.
- UI to select the language of the stuff to be installed.
- A bit of server infratructure for uploading stuff (i.e. something like
an ftp upload area and a way to collect and move the uploaded stuff to
the download area).
- A customizable way to preview stuff before download.
- DTDs for the XML files used for provider list and the meta information
about the new stuff.

But the basic functionality for choosing, downloading and uploading is
there. Before I proceed I would like to ask what you think about it and
how it goes together with the other efforts to implement this kind of
functionality.