Kicker Xinerama support

Kevin Puetz puetzk at iastate.edu
Thu Jun 6 23:27:56 BST 2002

Kevin Puetz wrote:

> The attached patch provides at least the beginnings of real Xinerama
> support for kicker placement. It allows the user to drag&drop the panel
> along any edge of any monitor, saves/restores panel placement correctly,
> and prevents panels from spanning across multiple screens.
>
> Just posting a rough-cut for comments (espescially any suggestions on how
> to do a kcontrol UI for placing the panel). I haven't got any great ideas
> here... maybe just a combobox to pick the screen number, but that seems
> cryptic (and the useability team just did such a nice job with that
> dialog). Showing multiple pickers (for each monitor) is another
> possibility, but also not a great one since there could be a heck of a lot
> of them.
>
> also, which Kicker classes have to stay BC? I hope not PanelContainer
> (it's header is not shipped, so I went ahead and assumed not).
>
> Known bugs:
> Category 1: panels along the edges of physical screens, but logically in
> the middle
> Kwin seems to mess up window placement with these around (it won't let you
> drag windows past them).
> Autohiding - autohidden panels in this position are basically impossible
> to open, since the electric borders aren't there to trigger it. Since they
> look stupid anyway (they slide oddly from one screen to the other, where
> they show but are dead) I need to disable autohide for these positions.
>
> Switching - it doesn't correctly force taskbars assigned to screens
> greated than the available number back onto an existing one. So
> reconfiguration is bad until I fix that.
>
> It should work on non-Xinerama systems as well, though I haven't tested
> that yet :-)
>
> If anybody with an unusual Xinerama setup would like to take a look, be my
> guest. Any bug reports I haven't listed above are also welcome.

Ok, second cut, all the above bugs are corrected except the lack of kcontrol
configuration. If nobody has any great suggestions, I'm just going to add a
combobox to pick the screen number a panel is on, because I think trying to
represent all the possible locations for Xinerama placement is just too
messy. Better to just drag&drop if you want to see what you're getting.

I need to check this on non-Xinerama, and then I'm going to commit if I
don't hear any objections.