KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Nicolas Goutte nicog at snafu.de
Mon Jun 3 21:19:09 BST 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 18:09, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. Juni 2002 17:01 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
> > > Any special reason why we must have 3.1 this early? I mean 3.0 went
> > > just out the door, and 5 months (between April and September) does not
> > > look like very much time to me for adding a whole lot of new functions
> > > and test them properly as I think was planned for the first major
> > > release after 3.0.
> >
> > One reason would be to keep the possibility that KDE 3.1 is released
> > with/before KOffice 1.2.
> >
> > If it is like last year, KOffice will need a very recent KDE (in this
> > case 3.1) and will not be able to run correctly on the previous version
> > (3.0.x)
> >
> > It is not the case now, it is not planned so either as far as I am
> > informed. But it was not planned either last year, but printing could
> > only work that way.
> When I asked David if we would need to translate eg kdelibs.po from the
> HEAD branch (because KOffice may require the latest libs) he said that he
> did not see how kdelibs code (and, therefore, its strings) would be
> relevant at all for KOffice 1.2.

I suppose that we have misunderstood us here.

Yes, as far as I remember the message, David told that a translation of 
kdelibs CVS HEAD is not necessary for KOffice. This is as long true as 
KOffice is able to run correctly with KDE 3.0.x.

On the other side, the I18N teams are going to translate KDE 3.1, isn't it?

The problem of last year meant that KOffice 1.1 was delayed after the release 
of KDE 2.2 (I hope that I do not mix up some version numbers.)

So now suppose that a similar problem would happen. KOffice would need to be 
delayed after KDE 3.1. However, if KDE 3.1 would be released more in winter 
that would mean as much months of delay for KOffice or to be forced the 
release of KOffice with a known unadapted KDE version.

Personally, I would prefer that another option would be held open, just in 

> Anyway, I don't think it's realistic that translators will have all the
> root files in HEAD completely translated even before the KOffice release.
> And how would you handle the PO files for this? It would mean something
> like a freeze for these files beforehand, or an extra KOffice branch which
> also includes the libs, or -- I don't know to make this at least
> theoretically possible.

Well, as said before, KDE 3.1 needs to be translated too, isn't it?

> Regards,
> Thomas

Have a nice day/evening/night!

More information about the kde-core-devel mailing list