KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Mon Jun 3 17:09:15 BST 2002

Am Montag, 3. Juni 2002 17:01 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:

> > Any special reason why we must have 3.1 this early? I mean 3.0 went just
> > out the door, and 5 months (between April and September) does not look
> > like very much time to me for adding a whole lot of new functions and
> > test them properly as I think was planned for the first major release
> > after 3.0.
>
> One reason would be to keep the possibility that KDE 3.1 is released
> with/before KOffice 1.2.
>
> If it is like last year, KOffice will need a very recent KDE (in this case
> 3.1) and will not be able to run correctly on the previous version (3.0.x)
>
> It is not the case now, it is not planned so either as far as I am
> informed. But it was not planned either last year, but printing could only
> work that way.

When I asked David if we would need to translate eg kdelibs.po from the HEAD
branch (because KOffice may require the latest libs) he said that he did not
see how kdelibs code (and, therefore, its strings) would be relevant at all
for KOffice 1.2.

Anyway, I don't think it's realistic that translators will have all the root
files in HEAD completely translated even before the KOffice release. And how
would you handle the PO files for this? It would mean something like a freeze
for these files beforehand, or an extra KOffice branch which also includes
the libs, or -- I don't know to make this at least theoretically possible.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org