KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Mon Jun 3 17:14:45 BST 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 17:01, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Monday 03 June 2002 07:44, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > Any special reason why we must have 3.1 this early? I mean 3.0 went just
> > out the door, and 5 months (between April and September) does not look like
> > very much time to me for adding a whole lot of new functions and test them
> > properly as I think was planned for the first major release after 3.0.
>
> One reason would be to keep the possibility that KDE 3.1 is released
> with/before KOffice 1.2.
>
> If it is like last year, KOffice will need a very recent KDE (in this case
> 3.1) and will not be able to run correctly on the previous version (3.0.x)
>
> It is not the case now, it is not planned so either as far as I am informed.
> But it was not planned either last year, but printing could only work that
> way.
kdelibs has stabilized quite a bit since that time ;)
I think that scheduling KDE on KOffice is really the wrong way round.

AFAIK KOffice-CVS runs fine on KDE-3.0[.1], only a few very small things are
missing, for the rest we tended to simply incorporate the needed stuff into koffice
itself.

Let's take the time to make KDE-3.1 worth it, there is still much to do.
In particular all that mimetype stuff (incl. compatibility with the new spec decided
on the xdg-list, see freedesktop.org) should be resolved before we get another
version of KDE out, IMHO (and there's much to do).

KDE-3.0.1. runs well, it's not as if we had to replace it ASAP.

I'm fine with a +7 weeks delay as Dirk suggested, or more if necessary.

David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/