KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Mon Jun 3 09:21:16 BST 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 12:45:49AM +0200, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> According to the current draft there are about 7 weeks left for
> implementing the "agreed on" features on the feature plan, and another 6
> weeks bugfixing only. I suggest that this freeze period will be more
> strictly handled compared to the 3.0 release, which deliberately had a
> rather soft policy.

In full agreement upon that.

> I know this schedule is rather tight, but in case, we can always slip it by 
> for 2-3 weeks by adding another release candidate (or making the rc1 one a 
> "public" one with 3-4 weeks time for feedback). I decided against 
> "hardcoding" this already into the current draft for obvious reasons though.

Even with a possible delay I believe this schedule is too tight. In case you
haven't noticed, it is summer. Sunshine and all that. I expect to be outside
a lot more with this weather and thus won't spend as much time on KDE as I
would with crappy weather. I would be surprised if other volunteers wouldn't
also cause a decrease in productivity and even paid KDE developers might go
on a vacation for a couple of weeks.

As others have noted, many items might have to be postponed to 3.2 if we
keep the schedule as tight as is. Which would seriously hurt 3.1 because
there would be far less reasons to upgrade (bugfixes don't count, we've got
3.0.x for that). Adding another RC wouldn't solve this at all since it won't
give a minute of extra time for features.

Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap at capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much
www.capsi.com | and we ain't got nothing, nothing! -- "Nothing" by A

More information about the kde-core-devel mailing list