KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Mon Jun 3 08:06:39 BST 2002

Am Montag, 3. Juni 2002 08:44 schrieb Piotr Szymanski:

> Yes, but I have agood idea. With this schedule it is very probable that one
> of the releases 3.1 or 3.0.2 will not get translators attention. I think
> that i18n teams should leave the 3_0_BRANCH (because they will not be able
> to finish both 3.0.2 and 3.1) and just work on HEAD now, this would give
> them more time to finish evrything for 3.1 (over 1 month).

IMO, it makes no sense to start GUI translation in HEAD with a message hard
freeze still being 2 months away. At the moment, even the already changed
strings are constantly changing. OTOH, having this hard freeze during main
vacation time will probably leave us with lots of translations in pretty bad
shape (again). I'd rather delay this whole thing for at least 6 more weeks.

(Just as a personal sidenote: I for one am really not in the mood to give up
on vacation for the n-th time in a row without a clear reason why we have to
rush the 3.1 release like this. And just saying "we have to cut it somewhere"
is not what I would call a good reason. I'd rather concentrate on finally
having a basic German doc translation for 3.0.2 which we never find the time
for because we always have to catch up on GUI translation. And then start
looking on all the great new functionality and the outcome of all that
usability testing of existing functionality developers provided for 3.1 ...)

> > OK, it's clear that we can't implement them "all", but probably we could
> > implement a whole lot more and give people a little time to take a breath
> > in between if we give some more time. I'd prefer if we could aim at
> > something like late October, early November. Even with the usual delays
> > we still would be out before the Christmas break then.
>
> I second that.

Great. -- But since you agree to this I really don't understand why you made
the above suggestion in the first place.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org