KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Mon Jun 3 06:44:41 BST 2002

Am Montag, 3. Juni 2002 00:45 schrieb Dirk Mueller:

> I've put a 3.1 release schedule draft online at
>
> http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.1-release-plan.html

Together with KOffice and vague plannings on 3.0.2 this means that translators
(and a lot of other people) have to meet 3 release dates during the main
vacation time in many countries: KOffice in July, 3.1 in August (if we keep
early September), and 3.0.2 somewhere in between. If I remember correctly
from past years, activity esp. in August is minimal. And although the
releases are not of equal importance (esp. 3.0.2) this seems a bit much to
me.

Any special reason why we must have 3.1 this early? I mean 3.0 went just out
the door, and 5 months (between April and September) does not look like very
much time to me for adding a whole lot of new functions and test them
properly as I think was planned for the first major release after 3.0.

> Although
> many of the entries are already in the green and yellow section, there is
> still a huge "red" TODO list. In my opinion there is not enough time to
> implement them all, even if we plan KDE 3.1 for early next year, so we have
> to cut it somewhere.

OK, it's clear that we can't implement them "all", but probably we could
implement a whole lot more and give people a little time to take a breath in
between if we give some more time. I'd prefer if we could aim at something
like late October, early November. Even with the usual delays we still would
be out before the Christmas break then.

Regards,

Thomas

--