KGX? WTF?

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Fri Jul 26 00:47:44 BST 2002

On Friday 26 July 2002 01:33, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> >Ever heard of LAMP (=Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)? Does the Apache group
> >complain that "LAMP" is called the way it is? I don't think so.
>
> actually no, I haven't heard of LAMP (maybe I did, and I forgot), but at
> least that appears to make some sense if I am properly extrapolating what
> it does based on the name, now if it was called GLAMP, then that would seem
> silly to me.

You have obviously not worked on a UNIX box without the GNU utils installed.
Trust me, I used to do stuff on a SunOS box without all that and it was a
PITA. I would end up typing way more than I liked because nothing worked
together. Sure, it did if you used a lot of pipes. tar that wasn't integrated
with compression utilities, for example, which I consider pretty trivial for
an archiving tool ment to store data (on tapes).

I consider GNU/Linux ridiculous, because people tend to call their operating
system by the kernel name or at least the publically known name, But when
launching a new platform which exists of several components I don't see why
one shouldn't include a G when GNU is a vital part of that platform. In all
fairness, they could've included an X for X11/XFree86, but X+Qt are implied
by KDE. Using GNU tools or a Linux kernel are not, so they are specified.

Can't we just give the League some credit and see the results first?

Rob

PS: Shawn, didn't you have a say in this or aren't you a League member
anymore?
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap at capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much