Rearranged KControl

Stephan Binner binner at kde.org
Wed Jul 24 18:55:00 BST 2002

On Monday 22 July 2002 07:28, Charles Samuels wrote:

> I'm running out of changes to make, and additionally, ideas.

Let me write down some ideas/proposals to stimulate the dying discussion:

- "File Browsing"->"File Manager" like Konqueror is referred to everywhere.
- Merge "Desktop/Trash" options into the "File Manager/Behaviour" kcm.
- Delete "Help" category, move "KHelpCenter" to "System" (requires root priv.)
- Rename "Personalization" to "Advanced".
- Move "Desktop/Paths" to "Advanced".
- Move "Network/Email" & "Country & Language" to toplevel (used by every user)
- Move "Power Control" hierarchy into "System".
- Move "Web Browsing/Proxy" into "Network".
- Move "Open links in new tabs" option from "File Manager/Behaviour" to "Web
  Browsing/Behaviour" because most users expect it (only) to work in web mode.
- I agree that "Printing Manager" makes more sense in "System" (root priv.).
- Move "System/Desktop Sharing" into "Network".
- "System/Alarm Client", "System/XML RPC Daemon" and "Advanced/Konsole/Write
  Daemon" should be merged into "System/KDE Service Manager" (in progress).
- "Address Book Configuration", "Component Chooser", "Email"'s preferred email
  client and "Konsole"'s default terminal application should be merged. After
  the two Konsole related changes "Personalization/Konsole" can be removed.
- "System/CGI KIO Slave" (who needs that?) fits perhaps better in "Advanced".
- "Web Browsing"->"Web Browser", "Spell Checking"->"Spell Checker" and so on.

> Pershaps "Country and Language" should be moved to its own "Language"
> group, and broken up into two or more separate modules.  In addition,
> Spellchecking could be moved there as well.

Grouping "Spell Checking" with "Language" makes sense but you don't want
to break up "Country & Language" into five tabs? Perhaps "Local Tab" as
own "Country & Language" and the remaining tabs as "Locale" tab? If we
do this, "Email" as sole toplevel is bad and should be left in "Network".

> I would also -really- appreciate it if someone could go in and make these
> changes, as my business has increased lately.

There will be people to change all if there is consensus about the direction.

Bye,
   Steve