ASF spec licensing issues

Shane Wright me at shanewright.co.uk
Sun Jul 21 21:49:05 BST 2002

Hi

Cheers for the input, but if I'm going to implement anything, I want it to be
100% above board.  I don't want any risks or problems myself, and it's not my
place to cause any for KDE.  That's why posted to the list and thats why I've
contacted MS for clarification.

Oh, and even wholly reverse-engineered implementations don't seem to be ok -
look at the posts on this thread about virtualdub's ASF implementation.

> > btw, if anyone wants to read the full thing, it's downloadable from
> > http://www.microsoft.com/asf/
> No thanks. You are really incredible :-)

Not sure what you mean by this - I was referring to people reading the license
in full (rather than just the excerpts I posted) in case a fuller idea of
what I was yabbering on about was needed.  I wasn't implying people should
read the spec and pollute their minds with it as well.

Cheers

Shane

On Sunday 21 July 2002 4:06 pm, Germain Garand wrote:
> Le Samedi 20 Juillet 2002 18:48, Shane Wright a écrit :
> > If its not possible to implement it, I'll stop (nothing's in CVS yet),
> > and I'll remove the entry from the 3.1 feature plan.
>
> Hello Shane,
>
> You may also publicly state, in a still PGP signed message,
> that all the above was of course a *JOKE*, that you didn't need at all to
> read those specs to reverse-engineer basical informations such as the title
> name, it's length, etc...
>
> More simply, you may also borrow the relevant code from an already
> existing, free, legally reverse-engineered implementation, as the one
> mentioned by Hetz...
> Provided you don't use "suspect knowledge" to modify those implementations,
> it's simply not your code, hence not your responsibility.
>
> > btw, if anyone wants to read the full thing, it's downloadable from
> > http://www.microsoft.com/asf/
>
> No thanks. You are really incredible :-)
>
> G.

- --
Shane
http://www.shanewright.co.uk/