KSVG - ready for KDE 3.1?

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Sun Jul 21 01:28:04 BST 2002

> In that case it does not belong in kdeextragear either. The Extra Gear is
> for stable apps that do not fit anywhere else and/or do not belong to the
> "Desktop Distribution".
> I think that ksvg is a very important part of the infrastructure and thus
> should really be in one of the core modules - but only if the quality is
> good enough of course.

I have test KSVG in the demos and in Adobe web site. There's a crash in Adobe
web site which wildfox is fixing right now..

Gentlemen, it will be at least 4 months until KDE 3.1 will be officialy out.
Until then, quite a lots of KSVG bugs will be squashed, and ofcourse - if it
will be included, lots of tests will be performed by users who compile, beta
testers, etc - so we'll have a very stable KSVG support by the time release.

Remember - for SVG support we have either KSVG or none. Adobe's Mozilla plugin
does not run under nsplugins in Konqueror (since it's using XPCOM if I
understood correctly). IMHO I would preffer to have something that works
which got at the moment few bugs, then nothing.

KDE 3.2 will be out (if at all) only a year from now and it would be a shame
not to have any SVG support until then.

One more thing if I may: from knowing Niko, I know that he fixes his bugs and
works on his projects quite extensivly, so I belive that he done (and will)
an outstanding job regarding KSVG.

Thanks,
Hetz