KSVG - ready for KDE 3.1?

Nikolas Zimmermann wildfox at kde.org
Thu Jul 18 14:58:57 BST 2002

On Thursday 18 July 2002 14:23, Klas Kalass wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2002 14:43 schrieb Nikolas Zimmermann:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > as we get svg icon support for KDE 3.1 people
> > may wonder if they can view normal svg files.
> >
> > They'll open konqueror and for a directory which
> > contains svg files the svg icon engine thumbnailer
> > is triggered.. it'll produce "not-so-good-results" as most
> > svg stuff is not supported.
> >
> > That'll make ppl say "svg in kde is shit".
> >
> > So we, Rob Buis, David Faure and me wondered
> > if an inclusion of KSVG is too late for 3.1?
> >
> > We'd like to see it in kdegraphics.
>
> You know that I am very supportive of the idea to put ksvg in one of the
> main kde modules, but last time I tried it my results were not very good:
> opening the svg penguin that is linked from KC KDE took >> 80 MB RAM and
> when I tried http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/main.html all my RAM (128MB) +
> Swap (256 MB) was not enough...
>
> That was 1-2 weeks ago I think. Has this been fixed or do you think that
> you will be able to fix it in time?
> If yes, then I support to have it in kdegraphics.
>
> Klas

Hi Klas,

first of all you shouldn't make this decision depending on if one particular
file works or not. We pass many official test cases and many files i've found
in the net during the last _year_.

Adobe's files are known to be slow and mem-consuming on EVERY other svg
implementation except adobe svg viewer itself.

If it's a big file, support for big files has been improved last weekend.
Please send me your file and i'll test.

Bye
 Bye
  Niko