Kuickshow's UI

Andreas Pour pour at mieterra.com
Tue Jul 16 11:55:03 BST 2002

Klaas Freitag wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> > Kuickshow's UI is miles away from being standard (KDE standard). I think
> > kview should be the default image viewer, to avoid confusing the user.
> >
> Well, I think the discussion about the _real_ true image viewer is as old
> as GUI's are, why do we focus on that?

Hi,

If I might, I think I have some useability issues with Kuickshow that
transcend the usu. image viewer debates about thumbnails and layout and
whatnot, but undoubtedly I will be shown wrong on that score:

  (1) First I could not find the size of the image - which to me is
pretty fundamental in an image viewer.  After playing for quite some
time with it, and benefitting from a shorter file name, I noticed the
size is in the titlebar - I never would have thought to look there,
plus, when you have a small image, you cannot see any of the title bar,
even the window controls are smushed together into one unusable
combination.

  (2) Not that I knew at the time it was kuickshow, since nowhere did it
say that.  No menu, no tool bar, nothing useful in the caption, a
right-click menu without access to help or other info, I had to figure
it out using 'ps'.

  (3) The 'ps' did show that the argument "-caption Kuickshow" was
applied, but, the titlebar in kuickshow instead showed the path to the
temporary KIOfile, and since this was a temporary download file, it was
just, useability wise, a distraction and confusion, a confusion b/c it
did not at all reflect the URL I had clicked on, and a distraction b/c
its complexity, length and presence of a long string of numbers did
quite effectively hide from me what I was so earnestly looking for, the
size of the image.

  (4) Later I tried running Kuickshow w/out a file name argument, and
you get something which looks like some cross between a file dialog and
a main window, with a toolbar but no menu.  If you open a file using
this window, the window stays around, but if you open kuickshow with a
filename on the command line, I could not find a way to get at this
window, so that I may open another file for viewing.

Ciao,

Dre