Kuickshow's UI

Klaas Freitag freitag at suse.de
Tue Jul 16 13:17:48 BST 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> Kuickshow's UI is miles away from being standard (KDE standard). I think
> kview should be the default image viewer, to avoid confusing the user.

Well, I think the discussion about the _real_ true image viewer is as old
as GUI's are, why do we focus on that? I think we should provide all kinds
of image viewers we now have, not all in the KDE distribution but available
for all users. David just pointed out that there are less issues for adding
apps to kdegears.

But why dont we try to put the benefits of all programs together? Why dont we
try to have a similar GUI not for the viewer, but for the actions on the
displayed image inside the viewer like rotation, zoom etc.? That would require
to have one image display widget (or part) that offers the image manipulation
stuff. IMHO that could be the kview part, but it would have to be improved to
meet all needs.

I know that kuickshow is an exeption, but for all apps using the standard
KImageIO and QImage like kview, kooka, probably gwenview, it should be no
problem and all developer could focus on providing powerfull manipulation
functions in all graphic apps under the same gui. The best would be to have
the speed of kuickshow for all apps. IMHO the Qt image loading stuff is
not very good because it does not support asyncron image loading nor
multiple page images. Carsten, would it be much effort to make the kuickshow
image display widget usable for other apps? Could we have asynchron image

My thoughts,

Klaas

--
  Wenn du einen Schneck behauchst                          Klaas Freitag
  Schrumpft er ins Gehaeuse,               *        mail freitag at suse.de