Constructive feedback from Eugenia

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jul 12 02:14:11 BST 2002

On Thursday 11 July 2002 03:31 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> 2) KDesktop -> RMB on Icon -> Open With
> Should be a submenu with a list of suitable applications (we know the
> mimemtype!) and then as a seperate entry the open-with-dialog.
> (I can do that :-)

Look mommy, with no hands.

Surprisingly we already do this, what confused me though is that if there is
only one application (KPackage in my test case), we show
	"Open With..."
	"KPackage"

But if there are two applications it becomes:
	"Open With >"
		"KWrite"
		"Kompare"
		---------
		"Other"

I think such self-changing menu is confusing. Also, note that the "KPackage"
in the case above is redundant since the "Open in New Window" option
(Currently named "Open" here on my desktop, yay!) does the same.

Anyway, I think it would be better to always have the menu the same, so that
the first case would look like:
	"Open With >"
		"KPackage"
		---------
		"Other"

I'm not sure how the "Open With" section should look like if there is no
application listed at all. Strictly speaking you wouldn't need it at all
then, because the "Open" option would act as "Open With" already anyway.

In the case of kdesktop, the "Open" option (previously "Open In New Window")
could also be named "Open with <appname>" but I'm not sure if that extra
information is helpfull or distracting.

Should the "Open With >" submenu be located directly under the "Open" option?

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com