Constructive feedback from Eugenia

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jul 11 23:31:59 BST 2002

For your reading pleasure: http::/osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1347

She raises many interesting points although I don't think all recommendations
are that great. (Auto-disapearing menu-options? *yuck*) On the bright side,
we can pick the ones we do like :-)

Some random picks/comments:

1) KDesktop -> RMB on Icon -> Open in New Window
This is copied from Konqy (hurrah for code sharing) but makes indeed little
sense in this context. Should just be "Open" (David, is that hard to change
for kdesktop only?)

2) KDesktop -> RMB on Icon -> Open With
Should be a submenu with a list of suitable applications (we know the
mimemtype!) and then as a seperate entry the open-with-dialog.
(I can do that :-)

3) Kicker: smooth icon zooming.
Hey, it used to suck much more! I think it's usefull if you have a small
panel. With the default size the use is limited. I agree with the assertion
that it is a cheap MacOSX knock off but I really wonder whether we should
waste CPU cycles on making the zooming more smooth.

4) Toolbar / Konqy
"Bug report time: If you remove the "Font sizes" toolbar from Konqueror and
then you add it back in on the main toolbar, the two font size-related icons
are not visible anymore and you will need to restart Konqueror to get them
back (this does not happen with other icons/toolbars). I saw there is a bug
report for it on the KDE bug database, for months now... "

Is this about the "Font sizes" _icon_? I can't get rid of that icon at all.
Could it be that this is related to the merging of the main-part and kparts
toolbars and the toolbar editor only knowing about the main-part?

5) File dialog
Aaron is working on that already. We really need a collapsable QSplitter btw,
has someone begged the trolls for that already? Shouldn't be too hard to hack
that into Qt itself, no?

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com