VFolder for KDE? (Re: KMenuEdit)

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Sun Jul 7 21:28:22 BST 2002

Martin Konold <konold at kde.org> wrote:
> > The big change is putting all .desktop files in a single directory (!)
> > and some business with .vfolder-info files that I can't find
> > documented.
>
> I do not see any point in implementing this bloat. Basically instead
> of using the already existing hierarchical file system they
> implement the hierarchy with extra code.

Offhand it does indeed seem rather silly and complicated compared to a
clean Unix-style fs hierarchy.  In practice, GNOME users don't seem to
be liking it so far either.

Unfortunately, the "silent" KDE voice on the freedesktop.org list and
here seems to have been taken for consent and it looks like VFolder is
gonna end up being a freedesktop.org/RedHat/defacto standard.

-N.