proposal for redesign of toolbar menu feature in kdeui

Torsten Rahn tackat at suse.de
Tue Jul 2 16:48:37 BST 2002

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 14:46, jowenn at kde.org wrote:

> Simon just reimplemented my toolbarmenu action,
> which   should make the whole thing a littlebit
> cleaner. Only if there is one toolbar it is

Sure, it reduces the clutter a bit - still:

Now I have a menu entry which says "Toolbars >" .. So why isn't "Configure
Toolbars" in the submenu then? Oh, because it matches quite well together
with the "Configure Shortcut" item. But on the other hand "Toolbars >" is
about configuring toolbars, too. So .. hm, doesn't look "clean" in terms of
concept to me yet ...

> In konqueror, as in M$ IE I like the Toolbar items
> in the main menu very much. In applications like

It's not about liking or disliking. The most important complain that KDE has
to face recently is that menus and kcontrol are quite cluttered.
And once again: most people who use applications like KWord and Konqueror
don't switch toolbars on and off all the time. For these it's just these
"handy" menu items which are in the way when searching for the important
stuff (which they need to do their actual work).

> the KOffice applications with their many toolbars
> it's usefull too. (IMHO)

If you feel that you need to switch toolbars on and off quite often in a
particular application then add a "Configure Toolbar"-button to the
application's toolbar on your HDD. Or simply just use the RMB-menu (That's
something power-users are used to do anyways).

Regards,
Tackat

--
Dipl.-Phys. Torsten Rahn